NPD Group released new data from their Q2 2012 Games Market Dynamics Report.
- U.S. consumers spent $1.0 billion on new physical video and PC game software in the second quarter of 2012 (April – June)
Digital Content Sales Growth
- Digital content (full game and add-on content downloads, subscriptions, mobile games and social network games) reached $1.47 billion in the U.S. for the quarter
- Digital content (full game and add-on content downloads, subscriptions, mobile games and social network games) reached $983 million in the UK, France and Germany for the quarter
- Digital content sales were up 17% in the U.S. over the same quarter in 2011
Used Game Sales and Rental Market
- U.S. consumers spent $386 million on used games and rentals
- UK, France and Germany consumers combined spent $243 million on used games and rentals
DFC Intelligence released new research forecasting global revenue from video game software growing from $52 billion in 2011 to $70 billion in 2017.
- Revenue growth is predicted to be split between three broad platforms: personal computers (PCs) leading with 39% of revenue, TV-based console systems with 36% of revenue, and mobile devices with 25%.
- By 2017, 66% of game software will be delivered digitally
- The core consumer still remains males age 12 to 30
- Browser-based games and social networks will exceed $8 billion in revenue by 2017
- Free-to-play games should count on an average paying consumer spending $75 a year for two years
Jon Peddie Research released new research on the state of the PC Games market. Here are some of the key insights:
- There are 54 million Performance and Enthusiast class PC gamers worldwide
- The number of Performance and Enthusiast class PC gamers worldwide will grow to 72 million by 2015
- There is very strong demand in the Performance and Enthusiast class PC gamers worldwide for systems, accessories, and upgrades approaching $4.7 billion in 2012 and growing to $7.7 billion by 2015
- China’s internet cafe’s are driving demand for Mainstream and some Performance class gaming equipment
55 million iPads have been sold since the launch of the original SKU in spring 2010.
Apple predicts that by 2015, the number of iPads sold will reach 325 million units.
Icon, a self-publisher of iOS, WiiWare and PSP games released some numbers which I think could be useful to other developers and publishers:
Richard Hill-Whittall commented,”Alas a lot of the bigger numbers were free downloads/free promotions, but even so – I was really pleased with the numbers. I thought I’d share them – and as such they are included below broken down into the different formats – iOS, PSP & WiiWare. I didn’t include PC as the numbers really aren’t worth including (probably about 20 units total!).”
Family Games Fun
Arcade Air Hockey & Bowling
Arcade Pool & Snooker
Pool Hall Pro
GRAND TOTAL: 255,763
According to Strategy Analytics:
- Worldwide HTML5 phone sales are 336 million units for 2011
- The number of HTML5 phones will reach 1 billion units in 2013
According to Thomas Kang, Director at Strategy Analytics, “It will require several years of further development and standards-setting before HTML5 can fully mature to reach its potential as a unified, multi-platform content-enabler.”
Newzoo released their 2011 MMO Games Market Report. Here are some key data point (focused on SCiFi MMO games):
- 36% of 39 million active MMO gamers in the US play games that have a SciFi or Space theme: 14 million in total
- In European and Emerging markets, SciFi is less popular than in the US, with 27% and 26% of all MMO gamers respectively, but the number of players is still significant totaling 9.5 and 11.5 million
- 68% of American SciFi MMO gamers play Free-to-Play MMOs
- 16% of American SciFi MMO gamers play Pay-to-Play MMOs
- 16% play both Free-to-Play and Pay-to-Play MMO games
- Most Free-to-Play gamers play for free but the number of SCiFi MMO gamers spending money in Free-to-Play MMO games outnumbers the 4.5 Million Pay-to-Play gamers
- China and Korea combined score best with 38% of MMO gamers or 41 Million consumers playing SCiFi MMO games
- In China and Korea 53% choose Pay-to-Play games, but almost all of these players also play Free-to-Play MMO games
- In Brazil, Mexico and Russia 80% of all SciFi MMO gamers only play Free-to-Play MMOs
- The UK is the largest SciFi MMO market in Europe in terms of number of players: 2.7 Million. Despite “only” 1.7 Million SciFi gamers in Germany, total money spent is almost equal for both countries
Just uploaded a Standard Launch Plan for iPhone Games for my game industry friends at AnimfxNZ.
Our friends at Baird put out a new research brief that explained growth in Activision’s digital revenues for the second quarter:
- Digital products generated $386 million (+16% Y/Y) in revenue, accounting for 60% of the total in Q2.
As digital sales increase for the major publishers, we’ll likely see a lot of new emerging distribution platforms both publisher-backed and independent. The market is wide open for additional third-party distributors to get into the space and the prevailing model of 30% of digital revenue going to distributors is much more palatable than the cut that physical retail stores currently take.