DFC Intelligence released new research forecasting global revenue from video game software growing from $52 billion in 2011 to $70 billion in 2017.
- Revenue growth is predicted to be split between three broad platforms: personal computers (PCs) leading with 39% of revenue, TV-based console systems with 36% of revenue, and mobile devices with 25%.
- By 2017, 66% of game software will be delivered digitally
- The core consumer still remains males age 12 to 30
- Browser-based games and social networks will exceed $8 billion in revenue by 2017
- Free-to-play games should count on an average paying consumer spending $75 a year for two years