Dean Takahashi at GamesBeat has some data on virtual goods from a research study commissioned by PlaySpan today:
- 31% of the people who have bought virtual goods have also sold them.
- In-game virtual currency is the most frequently traded virtual good between players
- Sellers of virtual currency have earned a median of $22 in the past year
- 49% of social network gamers who have bought virtual goods also made a sale (median earning $50)
- 25% of virtual goods buyers also made a sale (median earning $98)
- 69% of buyers of virtual goods have not sold virtual goods, however 30% were interested in doing so
- Sellers had a median age of 21, an annual household income of $30K and 89% were male