According to NPD, and their latest report, Core Gaming 2013, within the US population ages 9 and older, almost half play video games on core gaming device.
- Only 14 percent, or 37.5 million people, would be considered a core gamer*
- Ages 9-17 are most likely to be a core gamer (26 percent)
- Ages 18-34 are the next largest group of core gamers (21 percent)
Over the past year
- 88 percent of core gamers state they purchased new physical games
- 78 percent purchased physical used games
- 70 percent purchased digital full games
*Core Gamers were described as playing Action, Adventure, Fighting, Flight, Massively Multi-Player, Racing, Real Time Strategy, Role-Playing, Shooter, or Sport games on a PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC or a Mac, and spending 5 hours or more per week gaming on any of these devices.