IDC put out a new research report “The Worldwide Video Game and Entertainment Console Hardware and Packaged Software 2012–2016 Forecast” with some interesting takeaways from analyst Lewis Ward, including:
- PS3 has shipped an estimated 77 million bundles
- Xbox360 has shipped approximately 76 million bundles
- Nintendo’s Wii U will exceed 50 million bundles by year-end 2016
- The volume of packaged game discs shipped will decline an average of roughly 3% per year through 2016
- Eighth-generation console tie ratios will be approximately 25% lower than the tie ratios of seventh- or current-generation consoles
IESherpa Opinion – Although the number of physical games bought will decline, the number of digital games will likely increase at a faster rate, resulting in net growth for the games industry overall. Either way, we have another three years to see if this is correct and a lot can happen between now and then.