GamesIndustry.Biz has an article up regarding PlayStation Vita.
- The current install base is 2.2 Million
- The install base was 1.8 Million in March 2012
- This means the handheld gaming platform is selling about 100K units per month
Sony reiterated that they believe it can hit the 10 Million mark by the end of March 2013, despite trending towards around the 3 Million mark. I would be shocked if a price cut isn’t introduced by October/November to spur additional holiday sales.
According to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker, Android phones are now outpacing iOS by a ratio of four to one.
Top Smartphone Operating Systems, Shipments, and Market Share, Q2 2012 (Units in Millions)
||Q2 2012 Shipments
||Q2 2012 Market Share
||Q2 2011 Shipments
||Q2 2011 Market Share
|Windows Phone 7 / Windows Mobile
Source: IDC Worldwide Mobile Phone Tracker, August 8, 2012
NPD Group released new data from their Q2 2012 Games Market Dynamics Report.
- U.S. consumers spent $1.0 billion on new physical video and PC game software in the second quarter of 2012 (April – June)
Digital Content Sales Growth
- Digital content (full game and add-on content downloads, subscriptions, mobile games and social network games) reached $1.47 billion in the U.S. for the quarter
- Digital content (full game and add-on content downloads, subscriptions, mobile games and social network games) reached $983 million in the UK, France and Germany for the quarter
- Digital content sales were up 17% in the U.S. over the same quarter in 2011
Used Game Sales and Rental Market
- U.S. consumers spent $386 million on used games and rentals
- UK, France and Germany consumers combined spent $243 million on used games and rentals
Niko Partners released some new data on China’s game market stating that:
- Browser-based games will grow in China by 41 percent in 2012
- Client-based MMOGs will continue to generate the majority of revenue in China
- Webgames and social games will comprise an increasing market share
- Social games are the most used applications on social networking sites such as Qzone, Pengyou, and RenRen.com
- The webgames market is fragmented with low barriers to entry yet fewer infrastructure restrictions than the MMOG market