Just uploaded a Standard Launch Plan for iPhone Games for my game industry friends at AnimfxNZ.
- In the first three quarters of 2011, game companies have raised $1.33 billion in venture capital
- In 2010, the games industry saw $589 million in investment from VCs. in all of 2010.
- According to Mintel, the mobile game market was $898 million in 2010, and will reach $1.6 billion by 2015
Our friends at Baird put out a new research brief that explained growth in Activision’s digital revenues for the second quarter:
- Digital products generated $386 million (+16% Y/Y) in revenue, accounting for 60% of the total in Q2.
As digital sales increase for the major publishers, we’ll likely see a lot of new emerging distribution platforms both publisher-backed and independent. The market is wide open for additional third-party distributors to get into the space and the prevailing model of 30% of digital revenue going to distributors is much more palatable than the cut that physical retail stores currently take.
The folks at [a]listdaily have translated a report from Enterbrain stating that:
- Social gaming in Japan was $326 million in 2009
- This rose to $1.43 billion in 2010
- 37 percent of all social game users have spent money on a social game
- 20 percent are still spending money
- 30 percent of social game players own a smartphone