According to CBC, the Canadian retail market for games is now $2.1 Billion. This was 23% growth over 2007.
- 1.9 million consoles were sold in Canada in 2008
- Nintendo sold approximately 918,000 Nintendo DS units in 2008
- Sony sold approximately 282,000 PSP units in 2008
According to Gfk-ChartTrack, the UK has an installed base of 22 million consoles (10 million set-top and 12 million handheld. This is an addition of 9.5 million units in 2008.
- Nintendo’s Wii – 4.9 million units
- Xbox 360 – 3.2 million units
- PS3 – 1.9 million units
- DS – 8.8 million units
- PSP – 3.2 million units
According to MCV, 14.2 Million Wii consoles have been sold in Europe. this includes 8.3 Million Units in 2008 alone. Nintendo also sold 11.2 Million units of the DS in Europe in 2008, bringing its installed base to 31 Million in Europe.
28 Million Xbox 360 consoles have been sold worldwide according to Microsoft.
- The Xbox LIVE community now has more than 17 Million active members
- Online consumer spending increased 84% from over 2007 numbers
- More than $1 billion has been spent on Xbox LIVE since its launch
In October, it was stated that 16.84 Million PlayStation3 consoles had been sold worldwide.
Nintendo announced on October 30th that they had achieved sales of 34.55 Million Wii consoles worldwide.