Digitimes Research has checked with component manufacturers and released estimates on console shipments for 2016:
- Nintendo NX, which will launch in Q2 2016 is expected to ship 10-12 Million units in 2016
- Xbox One is expected to ship 13 Million units in 2016
- PlayStation 4 is expected to ship 18 Million units in 2016
According to GamesIndustry.biz, Sony has now:
- Sold through 4.2 Million PlayStation 4 consoles
- 9.7 million PS4 games have been sold
- This brings the current attach rate to 2.3 titles per PlayStation 4 sold
Microsoft also announced this week that:
- Xbox One has sold through 3 Million units to date
According to Strategy Analytics, and a VentureBeat article, we have a pretty good view of what is happening in the mobile market with respect to smartphones and tablets. Growth continues in the market and Android continues to gain market share from Apple.
- Global tablet shipments reached 24.7 million units in the third quarter of 2012
- Apple iOS slipped to 57 percent global market share
- Android captured a 41 percent global market share
- Apple shipped 14.0 million iPads worldwide in Q3
- Global Android tablet shipments doubled annually to 10.2 million units
- Global tablet shipments grew just 43 percent annually in Q3 2012, compared with 289 percent annually in Q2 2011.
- 162 million smartphones sold globally in the third quarter of 2012
- While Samsung shipped 56.9 million smartphone units
- Apple shipped 26.9 million iPhones
The current install base of PS Vita is 1.8 Million Worldwide.
Sony expects the install base to be 10 Million by March 2012.
According to Home Media Magazine, IHS iSuppli has revised its estimate for iPad shipments in 2011 based on manufacturing and quality control difficulties.
- Apple is now forecast to ship 39.7 Million iPads in 2011
- Non-iPad tablets are forecast to reach 111.1 million by 2013
- iPad is expected to have shipped 81.3 million units by 2013
IHS iSuppli released new estimates on the install base of the Nintendo 3DS, citing a lower lifetime potential due to competition from iPhone and other devices that play games that weren’t present when the DS launched.
- IHS forecasts a global installed base of 3DS devices at 11.6 million by the end of 2011
- By 2015, IHS forecasts a global installed base of 70 million 3DS devices
- This compares to total sales of DS/DS Lite of 91 million at a comparable point in its sales cycle
Nintendo’s Wii™ console has crossed the 35 million sales mark in the United States, according to the NPD Group.
More than 454,000 Wii consoles sold in February to put Wii across the 35 million mark faster than any other console in U.S. history.
This week Nintendo announced that the Wii has sold more than 7 Million units for the third consecutive year. According to Nintendo’s internal sales figures:
- The Nintendo DS™ family of portable video game systems has sold more than 47 million in the United States since the original model launched in November 2004
- This Nintendo DS is now the best-selling video game system of all time in the U.S.
- The Wii™ marked its third consecutive calendar year with U.S. sales of more than 7 million – a feat never before accomplished in the history of video games by a home console.
- Nintendo has sold more than 34 million Wiis in the U.S. now
Nintendo today announced that they sold 2.7 million Wii™ and Nintendo DS™ systems in November. This includes:
- 1.2 million Wii systems
- More than 1.5 million Nintendo DS systems
“According to our internal numbers, Nintendo sold 600,000 Wii systems during Thanksgiving Week alone, an increase of 50,000 over 2009,” said Charlie Scibetta, Nintendo of America’s senior director of Corporate Communications.
According Gamesindustry.biz, as of September, Microsoft had sold 44.6 million Xbox 360s worldwide