According to a recent article in the Wall Street Journal, Gartner Inc. expects media tablet sales to reach:
- 19.5 million units in 2010 (80% of which will be iPads = 15.6 million units)
- 54.8 million units in 2011
- 103.4 million units in 2012
- 154.2 million units in 2013
According to Gartner, more than half of those under 15 using computers in 2015 will be using touchscreens to interface with content. Businesses will not adopt the technology as quickly though. Less than 10% of computers purchased by businesses will have a touchscreen by 2015.
In June, Gartner released their estimates on the worldwide market for wireless gaming revenue in 2008 and put their number at $4.5 Billion. Other points include:
- Revenue will grow to $6.3 Billion by 2011
- Revenue in 2007 was $3.9 billion (16.1 % growth rate)
- 10.2% CAGR from 2007-2011
- Asia-Pacific (including Japan) is the largest market for mobile gaming at $2.3 billion in 2008
- Asia-Pacific Mobile Gaming should reach $3.4 billion by 2011
- India is expected to lead Asian countries in mobile gaming revenue $80 Million in 2007
- India should reach $450 million by 2012
- Western Europe is projected to grow from $701 million in 2008 to $862 million by 2011.
- North American market is projected to grow from $845 million to approximately $1.2 billion in 2011
Tuong Huy Nguyen is the principal analyst, and Madhusudan Gupta, is the senior analyst at Gartner covering the sector.