Niko Partners, the leading analyst and market data research firm on the China and Southeast Asia video game markets, recently released their 2019 China PC Online Games Market Report and 2019 China Mobile Games Market Report. Here are some highlights from the studies:
- China is the world’s largest market for PC online games accounting for 50% of all PC Game revenue.
- China’s domestic PC online game revenue was $15.21 billion in 2018.
- China’s domestic Revenue is forecast to remain strong, reaching $16 billion by 2023.
- China domestic mobile game revenue was $15.63 billion in 2018, up 28.9% from the previous year.
- China domestic mobile game revenue is forecast to reach $25.5 billion by 2023.
- China total game revenue is projected to reach $41.49 billion in 2023.
- There were 312.4 million PC online gamers in China in 2018 and 79.7 million (26%) of them spend money in games.
- The number of PC online gamers in China is projected to reach 354 million in 2023.
- There were 598 million mobile gamers in China in 2018, and 239 million (40%) of them spend money in games.
- The number of mobile gamers in China is projected to reach 728 million in 2023.
- Niko Partners projects that there will be 767 million total gamers in China, by 2023.
- 95% of gamers in China play mobile games.
- China has 138,000 internet cafes
- eSports is currently the most important long-term driver of growth for the PC online games market.
- PC eSports game revenue was $6.3 billion in 2018, up 11.1% over 2017 and accounting for 41.4% of total PC online games revenue.
- PC eSports game revenue is projected reach $9.5 billion in 2023, accounting for 59.4% of total PC online games revenue.
- Mobile eSports game revenue was $5.6B in 2018, and accounted for 36% of total mobile games revenue.
- Mobile eSports game revenue is projected to reach $11.5B in 2023, 45% of total mobile games revenue.