A recent study by In-Stat, predicts mass adoption of Ultra HD TVs will stretch into the 2020s. Ultra HD comes in: 4K (3840×2160) 4x 1080p resolution; and 8K (7680×4320) 16x 1080p resolution. In-Stat also predicted:
- 40% of North American homes will have Ultra HD sets by 2025
- 28.2% of European homes will have Ultra HD sets by 2025
- 20 million Ultra HD sets will be shipped in North America by 2025
- It will take 5-10 years before displays reach 5% of all homes
- Broadcasters won’t begin offering Ultra HD content until 2017
- A number of consumer-electronics manufacturers are already exploring the higher formats, and theatrical film makers are already producing 4K content for digital cinemas.
- Digital cinemas are already exhibiting 4K content and creating infrastructure for 4K and 8K content
- 1080p and 3D content will become more widely distributed before Ultra HD arrives in the home
For game makers, this should give an idea of how much the art requirements are going to change on games such as Modern Warfare 6 and Grand Theft Auto 11 (ok that was a joke).