There is a lot of interest in what the average ARPU and ARPPU is in social games and I thought it would be good to link to some articles and blogs that define the numbers and give insight into what we use:
- Andrew Chen of Mohr Davidow Ventures (MDV) cites ARPU at between $0.01 and $0.25/user per day as a good number for social games. With a destination site, $1/user per day is a more common and respectable number, although that’s for more niche titles.
- Andrew de Andrade, formerly of Mentez, a major Brazilian social games company says, “Most conversion rates for a successful game are between 1 and 3%, but even 0.5% is pretty good.”
- Social Times has an article that uses data from Love Gamer to illustrate 12 different social titles with ARPPUs ranging from $0.54 to $19.51/month
- MocoSpace’s mobile browser game is achieving a $13 ARPPU/month
- For Tarsnap, ARPU is slightly more than $3/month. About 50% of users are less than $0.15/month, about 70% of users are less than $1/month, about 85% are less than $3/month. The top 15% are responsible for about 85% of the total revenue.
- The Gambit blog shows the ARPPU increases with age from $2.65 at age 15, to $3.33 at age 29
- Playspan released data on ARPPU by country – the U.S. has an ARPPU of $22.76
- Virtual Economy Research Network has a lot of great stats from last year, including Outspark’s $50 ARPU and Bill Gurley’s Facebook estimate of a $2.57 ARPU