DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group released numbers on home entertainment consumer spending and it’s good news…spending is up!
- The increase, 0.24% in the third quarter after a 1.4% gain at mid-year— is due to Blu-ray Disc sales, subscription streaming and electronic distribution
- UltraViolet registrations have surpassed 6 million
- As of Sept. 30, 2012, consumers this year have spent an estimated $12.342 billion on home entertainment, up from $12.215 billion for the same period last year
- Packaged-media spending for DVD and Blu-ray Disc is estimated at $5.4 billion
- Subscription streaming for video content was $1.68 billion for the first three quarters of 2012
Total household penetration of all Blu-ray devices now is now close to 50 million U.S. homes
- HDTV penetration in the U.S. now stands at more than 101 million U.S. households