According to a new report from Newzoo:
- The number of American social gamers is 88.9 million, of which, 19 million are paying users
- There number of social gamers in brazil is 29 million, of which 8.1 million are paying users and growing at 26.1 percent year-over-year
Almost half of the 200 million Brazilians now have access to the internet
- 28% of social network gamers in Brazil spend money on social games, higher than the 21% share in the US
Key Facts on Demographics & Preferences of Brazilan Social Gamers
- Players consist of an equal amount of men and women (49% v 51%) but when it comes to payers, males dominate (56% v 44%)
- In Brazil, 21-35 year olds makeup the largest portion of players (47%) and payers (50%)
- 86% of Brazilian social network gamers play on Facebook and 31% play on Orkut
- 38% of social gamers in Brazil social games developer Zynga, making it the most recognized international publisher brand, followed by GameHouse (19%) and King.com (17%)
- Strategy is the most popular genre in both Brazil and the US
- “Core” genres make up the top three in Brazil with action/adventure and race games in 2nd and 3rd place compared to “Casual” genres Puzzles and Quizzes/Trivia in the US.
NPD Group released new data from their Q2 2012 Games Market Dynamics Report.
- U.S. consumers spent $1.0 billion on new physical video and PC game software in the second quarter of 2012 (April – June)
Digital Content Sales Growth
- Digital content (full game and add-on content downloads, subscriptions, mobile games and social network games) reached $1.47 billion in the U.S. for the quarter
- Digital content (full game and add-on content downloads, subscriptions, mobile games and social network games) reached $983 million in the UK, France and Germany for the quarter
- Digital content sales were up 17% in the U.S. over the same quarter in 2011
Used Game Sales and Rental Market
- U.S. consumers spent $386 million on used games and rentals
- UK, France and Germany consumers combined spent $243 million on used games and rentals
Welcome to the blog. My name is Sean Kauppinen and I’ve been in the games industry for more than 17 years. I’m constantly looking for research and data on the industry and wanted to create this blog so that anyone interested in finding out the size of the market could get the data quickly and easily. I’ve added information and presentations on launching games and other topics that might be of interest. Thanks for taking the time to visit, and definitely let me know if you have any questions.